Friday, February 1, 2008

Skiing 101

After downhill skiing for 23 years straight then quitting cold turkey two years ago, I was worried I might have forgotten how. The truth was, not only had I not missed skiing, I was scared to try. What if I wasn't able ski like I used to? What if I crashed and got injured (this has been known to happen)? What if it wasn't fun?

But the time had come. Nordic skiing wasn't enough. I wanted to go faster, arc "fatties", and feel the wind in my face. The skinny skis weren't doing it for me. It was time to go home.

As I rummaged through the closets at my parent’s house, trying to find stuff to ski in, many memories were brought back. Most of the memories were about how huge and "hulky" I used to be. None of my ski clothes fit me anymore. Man, I had no idea how big 180lbs. was.

I went through the old list in my head:
-helmet, gloves, goggles, boots, bib, back brace. Fortunately I could scratch the last two items (my present list is pretty much the same; helmet, gloves, glasses, shoes, number).

Everything seemed to be accounted for and I was ready, sort of (I was REALLY nervous and almost scratched the entire idea). With The Mom and Josh in tow, I set off on my favorite run, Cramner.

Before I knew it or could even think about it, I was carving sweet turns and it was FUN! Skiing was fun again. It was amazing. Now when I think of skiing, I smile.



With Josh (nice up-the-nose shot), and The Mom My best growing-up ski friend, Mel

1 comment:

G as in Chris said...

That's fantastic! I'm so glad you finally got back on the twin planks.